Thursday 4 November 2010

This is the End....

(June 2010)

Being arts editor has been a wonderful and enlightening part of my life for the last three years. So much so that I thought myself more a journalist and editor than a biochemist or business school student. It is with sadness and reluctance that I write my final editorial for felix arts.

Before going I will impart you with a little “formula” I subconsciously use when considering art:

1-Skill: the skill which has been necesary to and deployed in creating said piece of art.

2-Aesthetic: how beautuful the work of art is to you.

3-Concept: a piece of art may be hideous to look at, but the ingenuity or originality of the idea may be outstanding.

4-Impact: All three of the above criteria may displease you but, somehow, the work of art still stirs something inside you or rekindles a long lost memory.

This is highly subjective and should not by any means be taking too seriously - the beauty of art is that its intepretation is up to the viewer entirely. Art does not know who has an Art degree and who does not.

I hope you have enjoyed reading the arts section as much as I have done creating it. I will leave you with a quotation from a beautiful book - Narcissus and Goldmund by the revered Herman Hesse - as food for thought:

“We fear death, we shudder at life’s instability, we grieve to see the flowers wilt again and again, and the leaves fall, and in our hearts we know that we, too, are transitory and will soon disappear. When artists create pictures and thinkers search for laws and formulate thoughts, it is in order to salvage something from the great dance of death, to make something last longer than we do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment